We have three grant schemes in operation:
- SHOP FRONT GRANT SCHEME – Grants to improve shop fronts in the Meltham Conservation area
- GRANT SCHEME – Smaller grants
- COMMUNITY PROJECTS FUND – Larger grants
Please read the information below before deciding which grant scheme to apply to.
SHOP FRONT GRANT SCHEME – Grants to improve shop fronts in the Meltham Conservation Area
Improve the look of your premises, restore the character of a building and help enhance your high street. Apply for 50% of the cost of the eligible works up to a maximum contribution of £2500.00. The Town Council sets aside £5,000 per annum for such grants. Once the budget has been spent no further awards can be made until the next financial year. You can contact the Clerk to see how much grant is available at the point you are considering making an application to see how much grant money is available.
GRANTS SCHEME – Smaller grants
- You should have a definite project that requires financial support from the Council.
- Grants are NOT given to individual people.
- Retrospective funding is not allowed, i.e. do not request a grant for something that has already been purchased.
- The maximum grant per organisation is £1000.00 in each year.
- The grant must directly benefit residents of the Parish of Meltham, i.e. Meltham, Wilshaw and Helme.
- The completed application form must be returned to the Clerk to the Council at the above address. Incomplete applications may not be accepted – PLEASE CHECK your application carefully and ensure that you have enclosed all documents requested, e.g. bank statements, accounts etc.
- Payments will be issued in the form of a cheque.
- You will be required to provide proof of purchase / use of the money.
- You will be required to provide a small report stating how the funds have helped your organisation and this may be included in the Town Council’s Newsletters and Website.
In applying for a grant to Meltham Town Council you are agreeing to comply with the above criteria. All Associations and voluntary bodies within the Meltham, Wilshaw and Helme area wishing to apply for a Grant for the financial year commencing on 1 April 2018 should complete this application form and return it to the Clerk.
The total budget set aside for Grants this financial year is £2000.00.
COMMUNITY PROJECTS FUND – Larger grants
Meltham Town Council also provides grant funding to local organisations and groups for community based capital projects
The minimum grants is £1,000 and the maximum is £10,000 in any two years, (note this could mean that an organisation applies for £5,000 one year, £5,000 the next). The total award is restricted to a maximum of 50% of the total cost unless there are exceptional circumstances, full details of which must be provided by the applicant.
All projects must be located in the Meltham Town Council area and the project must be wholly/principally for the benefit of the residents of Meltham Township.
Priority will be given to applications which can detail and prove the impact of the project on the Meltham Township community. It is important that the projects are sustainable, (that they can be managed long-term) and are capable of a long-term effect.
The Council are eager to see leverage from other funding sources.
Applicants MUST attend the Council Meeting where their application is being discussed.
The following criteria apply to all applications; this scheme can support projects that:
- Involve capital expenditure only
- Will benefit the local community
- Have a long-term effect
- Are environmentally acceptable
Who Can Apply?
- Community based ‘not-for-profit’ or charitable organisations.
- Applications will only be accepted from groups that are democratic, have an organised structure and are able to demonstrate financial management (groups must have a written constitution or other recognised legal governing document).
What will not be Funded?
- Costs relating to items or work already carried out before the grant has been awarded.
As part of the application process you will be asked to provide quotations:
- for items costing under £3,000 two quotations are required
- for items over £3,000 three quotations are required
YOU MUST SUBMIT THE QUOTATIONS WITH YOUR APPLICATION TOGETHER WITH COPIES OF YOUR BANK STATEMENT, ACCOUNTS AND CONSTITUTION.
The Council has allocated £20,000 for such awards this financial year
Groups are encouraged to seek quotations from local suppliers/contractors.
There are several other organisations that may be able to assist you with your request for funding and just because you have applied to Meltham Town Council this doesn’t mean you can’t apply elsewhere. Try www.kirklees.gov.uk and search on ‘funding’ and ‘grants’.
Background to the Community Projects Fund
More information about the background to the Community Projects Fund can be found here.